Friday, June 7, 2013

Baby Steps to Self-Improvement

Awhile back, I wrote about useless verbal filler, and how I cringe when I say terrible things like, "alrighty then."

Along those lines, I'm realizing that there are lots of other little things that I say or do that I really wish I didn't. These things don't keep me up at night or anything. It's more just that every time I find myself doing or saying these things, I sigh a little bit to myself and silently (and falsely) vow to never do or say that ever again, and then I move on.

For example, I wish I didn't:

  • Say "OOH sorry!!" every time I bump into someone, or even when they bump into me
  • Yawn without covering my mouth
  • Yell "wooo!" when I slip, trip, stumble or fall
  • Say "me too!" whenever someone says they're tired
  • Become a stuttering spaz every time I answer my phone at work
  • Respond to compliments by saying something like, "Oh this piece of crap shirt? I got it at Target."
  • Forget to put someone's address in my phone after promising to myself, "THIS time I'm going to put their address into my phone!"
  • Put my phone on my lap while driving, only to then get out of my car, forgetting my phone is on my lap, and have it crash all the way to the pavement
  • Use ellipses...in every tweet that I write (seriously, go check out my Twitter. I have a problem.)
  • Ever talk about how many calories I'm consuming. I'm already eating them, so the damage is done. Plus, no one cares.
  • Excessively use "haha" in all forms of online communication
That list is not comprehensive, but it's a good start.

Maybe I'll just focus on tackling two or three every week. If I can go one whole week without errant use of "haha" or "ooh sorry!" I would call that week a success.

Baby steps, people, baby steps.


"...I have really bad breath in the morning?"
"Ew."
-Mean Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment