Thursday, January 31, 2013

"Wag More, Bark Less"

Who doesn't love watching YouTube videos of cute animals? Or looking through Buzzfeed compilations of funny looking creatures. You probably have your favorites--the slow loris, the fox, the corgi...

Before the internet blew up with animal cuteness we had the zoo. (I mean, we still do have the zoo. No one panic--it's still there. It's just that at age 24 I access the zoo less frequently than I access the internet.) Anyways, when you'd go to the zoo you would always have your favorites there too.

Have you ever taken a deeper look into why your favorite animal is what it is?

Is it because it reminds you of yourself? Is it because it acts how you want other people to act? Is it just because it's funny to look at? 

I'll run through a self-analysis first so you can get the hang of this.

I have 2 favorite animals. The first is a dog. This is the most boring answer ever. So usually I tell people it's a giraffe instead because it creates less backlash. So, my favorites are dogs and giraffes, and I have come to realize that I like them both for 2 different reasons.

I discovered during a conversation I was having the other day that I'm a dog at heart. I am a people-person to a fault. I love people, I want to be around people, I just want people to play and be happy and that's when I'm happy. I can be alone for awhile--I can be independent for spurts. But at the end of the day, if someone asks me to hang out I'm texting back "yesyesyesyesyeswherewegoing??"

People always say they like dogs because no one else gets as excited as a dog gets when they see you. And I just nod my head because I feel like it would freak them out if I said, "Well I'm super pumped you're here too! I've been waiting around all day to see you!" But it'd be the truth. I just really like people. So I identify with dogs. 

Giraffes are my favorite animal mostly because they're quiet but are super interesting to look at. While I tolerate loud noises, I've never been a huge fan of them. Fire trucks in parades, action movie sound effects, Will Ferrell...these loud things just stress me out. In the zoo, the giraffes were always a sort of respite for me. They just sat there being accidentally hilarious and didn't say anything. 

I'm going to stick my neck out (hehe) and say that I kind of look for my friends to be like giraffes. I'm not drawn to the loud, flashy animals that are throwing things just like I'm not drawn to loud, crazy people who are...throwing things. I guess. I like people who are interesting, and funny both on purpose and despite themselves, and not aggressive, and not loud unless they're getting attacked by a hyena. So I would like to be friends with giraffes.

And there you have it--I have selected my 2 favorite animals based on who I think I am, and who I want to spend my time with.

Do you have any rhyme or reason for your favorite animals?

If your favorite animal is a sloth are you now getting worried about the fact that you're sloth-like?

Before you go ponder, I will leave you with this video that answers the question of what it'd be like if dogs and cats were humans:



"I hid under your porch because I LOOOVE you!"
-Dug, UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment