Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Offensive Wonka

There seems to be some confusion over the meaning of certain words lately. So, today, I wanted to set the record straight on 2 words in particular:

1. Offensive
2. Condescending

I have already been over the word offensive before in the context of the completely meaningless phrase, "no offense but..."

In the case of that phrase, something offensive is being said under the guise that it is not actually offensive. But in a particularly popular recent news story, I have found the opposite--that something entirely unoffensive has been somehow mislabeled as offensive.

On the Fourth of July, a housing complex of some sort in Wrentham, MA received a complaint that American flags were being hung outside of tenants' apartments. To appease the complainers, (I think there's a better word for one who files a complaint, I just can't think of it right now) the town's housing authority sent a note around banning the public hanging of all American flags.

(FYI: You actually can't do that. The state overturned a day or two later. Because I feel the need to actually cite a source here, take a look at this article in the Huffington Post.)

It is a common complaint, mostly of old people and conservatives that everything has to be politically correct these days. And often times, I find myself on the side of those striving to be more "P.C." because I'm such a young whippersnapper.

In my opinion, it's pretty racist that there are any sports teams called the "Red Skins."

In my opinion, the violent protests against the building of a mosque next to Ground Zero are wrong.

In my opinion, the groups of "Christians" who stand, supposedly under God, holding signs that say "God Hates Fags" are revolting.

Those things, in my opinion, are all offensive.

An American flag, especially hung in America, is not offensive. It is the official, internationally recognized symbol of America. We're not talking about flying a confederate flag here, or any other sort of regional representation of the country. We're talking about the flag that is flown at the Olympics, or that was on the moon (allegedly...). This flag is a symbol of fight, bravery and love of country. 

I understand that right now it is not cool or trendy to like America. We're mad about the economy and the politicians and those crazy kids with their Instant Messenger and horrible inability to string together a complete sentence. We're embarrassed by the supposed contempt everyone else in the world has towards us. So therefore, to some, an American flag may be a representation of things they don't want to be, or be associated with. So, to them, it may look more offensive than a pair of non-canvas shoes. (I own them too...relax.) But ultimately...it's what flies at our Nation's capitol and our embassies, and lies on top of our soldiers' caskets. So it's official and legal, not to mention historic and meaningful. Although it may not be popular right now.

I don't like getting too preachy on you guys so I'll wrap up this topic real quick...it's just straight up ridiculous that people in America would be banned from flying American flags. There was no ban on any other flags--Canadian, Mexican, anything. The ban was against American flags. In America. The Wrentham Housing Authority had it all wrong. Luckily, the public, as well as the state got it right. And now we're all good. The end.

If you're still with me here, now I'm going to move on to the word condescending. If you're on Twitter, or into Internet memes, then maybe you are familiar with "Condescending Wonka." Here's an example of how Condescending Wonka should work:




This is a funny Condescending Wonka meme that plays on the fact that while Northface Jackets were originally made for mountain climbers and extreme hikers/outdoorsy people, they have now become mainstream and people like me wear them to the mall. Get it?


So, you've just seen how Condescending Wonka should function. Gene Wilder, with hand placed on side of head looking down towards you should be saying something to you that seems positive or complimentary, but in fact, due to his tone and his body language is patronizing and, well, condescending.


Now let's take a look at the Condescending Wonka twitter feed that is just text, but you are supposed to imagine the above picture in your head:


Condescending Wonka ‏@WilllllyWonka
Oh, you are going off on me right now in front of your friends? I'm sorry, I don't speak Cuntanese.

Twinkle, Twinkle, little slut. Name one guy you haven't fucked.


Condescending Wonka ‏@WilllllyWonka
Bitch I'm not insulting you, I'm describing you.

I love when chubby girls wear tight shirts and booty shorts. Such a fucking turn on.

I'm sorry...did I miss the part where "condescending" became "hates women?" The lonely, lonely boy behind @WillllllyWonka seems to have some issues that have nothing to do with being condescending, witty or clever in any way. 

In fact, those tweets are offensive. But, no no, we're supposed to call them condescending. But we'll call American flags offensive instead. I'm way more offended by a piece of fabric that was created to stand for courage, purity and justice than I am by reading "Twinkle, twinkle, little slut. Name one guy you haven't fucked."


"I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him."
- Abraham Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment