Friday, August 24, 2012

Where am I?

Human brains are typically pretty good at what they do...you know...like, thinking, and processing...and stuff. Incidentally, mine is not good at helping me write blog introductions.

What I'm trying to get to is that since our brains are usually good at helping us figure out what's going on in life, it's a strange feeling when you become very disoriented and confused by something. There are 3 situations that, no matter how often I experience them, my brain can still not comprehend what is going on, leading to at least a few seconds of internal static and typically a glazed over look on my face.

The first is when I get onto 1 elevator among a cluster of 4 elevators in a postage stamp formation (The initial feedback here is that the phrase "postage stamp formation" is confusing. I'll try to make a diagram to demonstrate what I mean instead.)

 [1]       [2]
YOUR OFFICE---------------------HALLWAY--------------NOT YOUR OFFICE
[3]      [4]
  
(Get it? Lovely. Moving on!) I take the elevator up to my floor, and when I get out, I NEVER know which direction my office is in. I need to look down the hallway for context clues. And if I try to make a guess, I am wrong 80% of the time, and anyone else that's still in the open elevator gets to see me walk in one direction, only to walk immediately in the opposite direction 2 seconds later. I imagine them quietly laughing at me as the doors close.

The next is when I'm exiting a big, winding parking garage. I need to see blueprints for parking garages, because I literally cannot comprehend how the cars entering, and the cars exiting don't collide with each other. If they did not have signs constantly saying "Exit -->" I think I would just drive forever, never reaching the exit.

Ok, so maybe, unlike me, you can understand the magic that is parking garages...but you will most definitely identify with this last one. This has to happen to everybody at some point...When you go into a movie theater in the middle of the day, and you come out expecting it to be dark. It doesn't matter if you went to a noon-time showing. You still come outside afterwards thinking that it's 10:00pm. Or maybe you know that it's not 10:00pm, but you still just anticipate it being dark. Even though that makes no sense. Gets me EVERY time.

Any other situations that throw your brain for a loop?


"I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face."
-Johnny Depp

No comments:

Post a Comment