Thursday, April 25, 2013

Defying Gravity? ...And all other logic and sense

Many television shows and movies present us with a world full of things that can't really exist in the world we live in--magic, talking animals, inanimate objects that move around, Charlie Sheen, and more. And I enjoy these sorts of things that meld reality with fantasy. I'm willing to embrace the impossible for a few hours at a time.

But what's funny is that even when I'm watching something that could never happen in real life, I still hold the show or film to some real life standards.

The other day I was watching Spongebob. (Yes, I just admitted to that.) And Spongebob and Patrick were planning on going golfing, but then it started to rain.

....They live at the bottom of the sea. How does it rain underwater? That makes no sense!!

But you know what else makes no sense? A talking sponge. Who wears square pants. And is best friends with a dumb talking starfish and a squirrel who has to wear a space suit while underwater.

The entire show is completely nonsensical. So why would it bother me when it began to rain underwater?

Or,  whenever I watch Beauty and the Beast, I can't help but notice Mrs. Potts is way too old to have Chip as a son. But the thing about that is that we're talking about an enchanted tea pot. And her tea cup son. So we are already far past the point of "all of this has to make total sense." Yet we still try.
Like, no way.
I'll stick with the Disney theme and move onto Enchanted. It's a story that takes place half in a cartoon-world and half in Manhattan. Giselle, the main character is about to get married when her soon-to-be-step-mother-in-law gives her the boot out of fairytale world. (It's actually called Andalasia, but that's neither here nor there.) Anyways, I'll spare you more details, but when she's in the "real world" she cuts out Patrick Dempsey's curtains to make a dress:
Amy Adams is adorable, but physics must still apply.
Look. I know this girl just came from Andalasia and everything about this movie is bizarre and magical...but those curtains straight up defy gravity. They wouldn't just hang there like that!

I'm not sure I can really pinpoint why these small details bother me when the overall implausibility or impossibility of the plot doesn't. 

Maybe something about defying actual rules of science? ...but then again, magic would be included in that. So, I really just don't know.


"You may hate gravity, but gravity doesn't care."
-Clayton Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment