Thursday, April 4, 2013

Looking Forward to It

This Easter, my mom devised an awesome Easter egg hunt that led to adult prizes such as hand soap, scratch tickets and nips of vodka (Hm, that went downhill after the hand soap, eh?). But anyways, while I was happy to get candy and some really great smelling candles, it didn't match the excitement I used to feel waking up on Easter morning when I still believed in the Easter bunny. Same thing with Christmas now that I'm grown up.

This is a pretty common thing we not-quite-adults-yet-but-not-children-anymore's talk about. We talk about how we've lost the joy we used to feel for the small things. And even for the bigger things.

While holidays may not seem as magical, and candy and presents may not seem as life-altering anymore, I would argue that there are still some things that I get pretty excited about.

You may consider some things on this list pathetic. You've been warned.

-Concerts

-Drinking the night before Thanksgiving

-Vacation

-Premiers of my favorite TV shows

-Road trips

-Getting out of work early

-Having even a slight possibility of getting out of work early

-Free lunch

-Free anything. ...no seriously. Anything. Even samples at Whole Foods.

-Midnight premiers of really epic movies

-Sales at my favorite stores

Ok, now that I'm running out of ideas with this list it does feel a little bit sad. But I'm just going to avoid the sinking feeling that this list is all I have to look forward to in life and just wrap this post up. 

Oh--no. Nevermind. There's way more to look forward to. Like, getting married, having a family, dreaming about retiring early...

Ok. I'm feeling better again. I should really plan these posts out before I write them to avoid these sorts of emotional roller coasters I go through as I write them on the fly.


"The children were nestled all snug in their beds, while visions of sugar plums danced in their heads."
-'Twas the Night Before Christmas, by Clement C. Moore
(I have no idea what a sugar plum is and now that I'm not a child anymore I'll never even be able to dream of them again! Maybe I missed out on a great opportunity.)

1 comment: