Monday, October 1, 2012

Quarter-Life Crisis?

I am never one to think of myself as an adult. Every year when I become another year older, it takes me almost the entire year to remember that I am that new age. I consider myself a kid. I still look at reality TV stars and see people that are some age that I will surely never be. Remember watching the Real World and wondering if you would ever be 22 years old? I still feel that way. And I'm 23.

That being said, I've noticed myself saying a few shocking things lately. Things that adults say. Things that boring adults say.

Here's just a few examples of phrases I've caught myself saying in the past few months:

"Oh! I have a coupon for that tinfoil!"

"I just bought the CUTEST dishtowels!"

"I just wired the release over North American High Tech Hot Spots and for SEO the keywords are 'packet optical networking, bandwidth and mobile backhaul.'"

"I went to the Loft the other day and was really disappointed by the selection. It was so picked over!"

"Ugh, I should really keep some business cards in my wristlet."

"Why is Jeopardy not on?!"

I could go on but I think I've made my point.

When I list out all of those adult-like phrases, it sounds almost like I've grown up...into a person who finds joy in dishtowels (they're Halloween themed!!). And while this may be partially true, I do also find myself saying things that make me wonder if I'll ever actually grow up at all:

"Hi mum...quick question. How do you make a baked potato?"

"So he texted me and I was like, why didn't you just text me yesterday? And he was like, I forgot. And I was like, ok cool whatever."

"Oh. My. God. There's a Groupon deal for all of the Harry Potter DVDs!!"

"KILL THAT SPIDER!! I CAN'T DO IT!!!!"

"No matter how many times I watch this episode of Jersey Shore, it's still funny."

So...I guess I, thankfully, still have a ways to go before I fully blossom (wilt??) into the boring adult I will surely be.



“If growing up means it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!”

-J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

2 comments:

  1. I love this post.. and the fact that I know practically every situation of which the phrases come from.. o adulthood! (But our apartment is so adorably fall themed!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you've been there for almost all of those I think! And I maintain that the new dishtowels are adorable.

    ReplyDelete