Thursday, May 17, 2012

Little Miss Know-It-All

Sometimes I remind myself of Hermione Granger. And not in the "I got really hot after a few years of school and in the real world I'm a fashion model and everyone loves me" way. I mean Hermione Granger when she was 12. I am, by nature, a know-it-all.


When you're 12, being a know-it-all can almost be cute. Cute to older people at least. Other 12 year olds don't like it, I recall. At 23 though, I definitely have to show restraint when I overhear one person asking another person a question on the train, or in line, or walking down the street.


Yelling out "THE SOX GAME STARTS AT 7!" isn't socially acceptable. But it would give me SO much satisfaction if it was.


"THE BACHELORETTE IS ON AT 9 THIS SEASON INSTEAD OF 8!"
[Edit: The Bachelorette will be back on at 8 as soon as the current Dancing With the Stars Season ends. How many of you know-it-alls were itching to tell me that one?? Also a good reminder that being the know-it-all type doesn't always mean you know-it-all ;)]


"WE WON'T SEE THE SOLAR ECLIPSE ON THE EAST COAST SO DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!"


Ugh! And the worst is when I overhear a conversation and the answer one person gives the other is actually wrong. It literally sends me into an internal panic. What's more important? That this stranger knows that Beckett is actually pitching tonight, not Lester, or that I don't rudely butt in to the middle of their conversation? Correct information vs. Social grace. It's like those old-school celebrity claymation boxing matches. Only without celebrities...or clay...or boxing.


Ok so it's nothing like that.


But why is it so hard for me to just let things go unsaid? Does it matter that this stranger knows the correct information on a topic that has no actual bearing on her life? She'll figure out who's pitching when she gets to the game anyways. 


I should just walk around wearing ear plugs. Like kids who wear pot holders when they have the chicken pox. (Having a Full House flashback.)




"It's leviOHHHsa, not levioSAHH"
-Hermione Granger, Harry Potter

No comments:

Post a Comment