Thursday, June 7, 2012

"A Few Minutes with Me"

Most of the time when people tell me I look or act like someone, I completely disagree with them. When I was little I hated when people would tell me I looked like Julia Roberts. Because, to me, she looked like a horse. Now that I'm older, if someone told me I looked like Julia Roberts I'd be flattered...but of course, no one's mentioned it in years. Now I get told that I look like Katharine McPhee from American Idol and that new show Smash. I guess I can kind of see it sometimes? I've been told that my mannerisms remind people of Kristen Wiig, and sometimes my mom will tell me that I'm acting like my grandmother. And I have never been in particular agreement with any of these comparisons.

But, last night a friend of mine hit the nail SO directly on the head of who I am that I haven't really stopped laughing about it. I even called my mom to tell her...and I think she may still be laughing too.

I'm Andy Rooney.

When the heck did this happen?? I didn't even know who he was until last night!! 

If you don't know who he is either here's the Wikipedia summary:

"Andrew Aitken "Andy" Rooney (January 14, 1919 – November 4, 2011) was an American radio and television writer. He was most notable for his weekly broadcast "A Few Minutes with Andy Rooney," a part of the CBS News program 60 Minutes from 1978 to 2011. His final regular appearance on 60 Minutes aired October 2, 2011. He died one month later, on November 4, 2011, at age 92."

Apparently in this "A Few Minutes with Andy Rooney" segment, he always appeared behind a walnut table (fun wiki fact: he built this table himself) and ranted about completely trivial things.

It's one thing to aspire to be like someone in your life...but when you are a 23 year old girl it's a bit shocking to find out on one random night that you're the spitting internal image of a feisty old (and now dead) man. (I assume since he was born in 1919 that maybe our political/social views may not align...so I reserve the right to be different from him in that sense.)

Anyways, here are a few videos of Andy Rooney. Imagine these monologues as blog posts and tell me they wouldn't fit seamlessly into my blog! I'm so creeped out.







"People have often told me I said the things they are thinking themselves. I probably haven't said anything here that you didn't already know, or have already thought. That's what a writer does."
-Andy Rooney
...I swear I say something just like this in my first blog post. WHYYY am I this 92 year old man?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment