Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Say what?

Since I've recently been hung up on language quirks (refer to previous post), ever noticed that how we say something is often just as important as what we're saying? You can say a lot with inflection, pauses, rhythm etc. Sometimes how we say something even trumps what it is we're saying in importance. This happens every time I call Reese's Pieces "reese's peecees." I sacrifice saying the word "pieces" correctly to get the rhyme.

Also, something similar happens when I say the pledge of allegiance. The meaning is essentially butchered because I say it in such a weird way. Is this how you were taught too?

I pledge allegiance,
to the flag,
of the United. States. of America.
And to the republic for which it stands.
One nation.
Under God.
Indivisible.
With liberty 
and justice...
for all.

Did the whole country learn to say this paragraph with the same pauses? It makes absolutely no sense when you break it up the way I was taught. "And to the republic" sounds like the beginning of a whole new idea.

"And to the republic for which it stands--I would like to say thank you for being the reason 'it' stands."

But we're all about breaking up sentences/words for the sake of a rhythm or flow, or taking a breath, or whatever you want to call it.

How about just about every Katy Perry song ever? Girl can't say more than one syllable without taking a break.

"Cal-ih-forn-ia girls" "Kiss. Me. Kih-kih-kih-kiss-me." "T! G! I! F!" "You. Make. Me. Feel like I'm livin' a teen-age dream."

Or just take a few past/present summer hits..."We gon' light. it. up. like it's dyn-o-mite." "Star. Ships. We're meant to fly. Hands. Up. And touch the sky." "I'm at a payyyphoneee"

...Ok so that last one didn't apply. I just wanted to get it stuck in your head. SUCKAHH!


"You put the wrong emphASis on the wrong syllABle"
-Someone from some movie that was probably terrible except for this one quote that I still remember years later.

...I looked it up. It's View from the Top with Gwyneth Paltrow and Mike Myers...anyone? anyone at all? Nope. Ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment