Monday, June 11, 2012

No judgment.

So ever since I wrote about my opinion on internet security/privacy I've done a little careful monitoring of the things that bother me about the internet and the things that don't. For example, I've discovered that it really irks me that when you Google search my name, a tweet of mine about The Bachelor from 5 months ago comes up first. But you have to scroll down to find my 4 years of collegiate track stats. That's fair.


I've also noticed my Google search activity, and found that my biggest issue, ever since I found out that Google essentially tracks everything you type, is that I'm embarrassed or self-conscious about what I'm searching. And I'm willing to bet I'm a pretty squeaky clean member of society compared to some of you dogs out there! (none of MY readers of course though..you guys are great.)


But seriously, I find myself altering what I type into the tool bar just so Google doesn't judge me.


i.e."A friend of mine who isn't me wants to know if any restaurants take reservations for 1"


"Someone asked me to look up the lyrics to Miley Cyrus's 'The Climb'"


"Movie times for Katy Perry's A Part of Me in 3D...so I know when NOT to go to the theatre"


"I'm doing a school project on the Charles Manson murders"


They're making me so self conscious! I don't want anyone thinking I'm obsessed with Charles Manson...I just got curious once! If something bad ever happens to me I don't want the police to bring up my search history and make extremely irrelevant searches into relevant case points. I just like knowing the words to emo songs!! I'm not suicidal! Give me a break!



"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

-Abraham Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment