Friday, June 1, 2012

Stop and smell the...Tyrannosaurus?

With so much technology these days, it is easy for us to take completely miraculous things for granted. (Sometimes my mind is blown just thinking about how fax machines work. I mean...you dial a phone number and it sends a message on paper!!)


But aside from brand new things that we take for granted, I argue that we also take extremely old things for granted too.


One word for you: dinosaurs.


Have you really thought about dinosaurs lately? Since we learned about them in, what? 5th grade?


I know you think I'm nuts right now, but I seriously want you to think about dinosaurs. Think about a T-Rex. A Tyrannosaurus-freaking-rex.


Want some stats?


According to Wikipedia a T-rex measured up to 42 feet in length (assuming that means from head to tail) and weighed about 6.8 metric tons.


Wanna know how much 6.8 metric tons is?


Just shy of 15,000 pounds.


Now, if you're like me, you're thinking that an elephant probably weighs more than that. And indeed, they typically do. BUT is an elephant a lizard?! Can you see its giant, meat-loving teeth? Does it have hilariously tiny forearms? Nope. An elephant has a big funny looking trunk that sniffs peanuts and unwraps bananas. That's harmless. A T-rex unwraps your skin from your body.


Ok so I obviously made that up. But if dinosaurs existed when humans did, I imagine they would have been able to do that.


When we're in 5th grade I don't think we can quite appreciate just how ridiculous dinosaurs were. So here's a website from Dino Don for you to brush up on some facts...http://www.dinodon.com/15facts.htm



"I have a big head, and little arms!"
-Some hilarious t-rex from Meet the Robinsons

No comments:

Post a Comment